Netflix, the bigwig in streaming, keeps a bunch of awesome movies in different types, but their crime collection is really cool. This article is all about the best crime movies on Netflix. We’re gonna talk about movies that grab your attention and keep you hooked with their great stories and awesome acting.
These movies aren’t just for fun—they make you think about people’s minds, crime stuff, and the tough moral choices that come with it all. From heart-pounding thrillers to deep stories that make you ponder life, this list will show you the cream of the crop in Netflix’s crime movies.
Best Crime Movies on Netflix: Top Picks
1.The Guilty (2021)
“The Guilty,” a 2021 American remake of the Danish film “Den Skyldige,” is a gripping narrative set within the confines of a 911 dispatch call center. The movie, directed by Antoine Fuqua and penned by Nic Pizzolatto, unfolds over the span of a single morning.
The story centers on Joe Baylor, a troubled LAPD officer portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal. Joe, who is awaiting a court hearing for an incident that occurred on duty eight months earlier, has been demoted to working the night shift as a 911 operator. Amidst a backdrop of California wildfires that significantly increase the volume of emergency calls, Joe’s already high-strung and anxious demeanor is pushed to its limits. His nervous and twitchy nature, combined with a propensity for quick anger, sets the stage for the tense narrative that unfolds.
The crux of the plot is triggered when Joe receives a distressing phone call from Emily Lighton, a woman who reveals that she has been abducted. While in transit in a white van, Emily is forced to abruptly end the call, leaving Joe with limited information to act upon. This call plunges Joe into a race against time, as he grapples with his own internal conflicts and the urgency of Emily’s situation, all from the confines of his dispatch desk.
“The Guilty” is a story of tension, urgency, and moral ambiguity, where the protagonist must navigate his personal demons while trying to save a life, showcasing a unique blend of psychological drama and thriller within the setting of a single location.
The Guilty (2021) Movie Cast:
The main cast of “The Guilty” (2021) includes the following actors and their respective roles:
- Jake Gyllenhaal as Joe Baylor: Gyllenhaal plays the protagonist, Joe Baylor, a demoted police officer assigned to a call dispatch desk. He becomes involved in a tense situation when he receives an emergency call from a kidnapped woman. Gyllenhaal is recognized as one of the most versatile actors of his generation.
- Christina Vidal as Sgt. Denise Wade: She plays a significant role in the film, alongside Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Riley Keough as Emily Lighton (voice): Keough voices the character of Emily, the distressed woman who calls Joe Baylor for help. Her role is central to the film’s plot.
- Peter Sarsgaard as Henry Fisher (voice): Sarsgaard contributes his voice to the character of Henry Fisher in the film.
- Ethan Hawke: He is part of the voice cast, contributing to the film’s unique storytelling style.
- Eli Goree as Rick (voice): Goree provides the voice for the character of Rick.
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph as CHP Dispatcher (voice): Randolph voices the role of a CHP Dispatcher in the film.
- Paul Dano as Matthew Fontenot (voice): Dano voices the character of Matthew Fontenot, adding to the film’s intense narrative.
This cast brings together a mix of on-screen and voice acting, creating a dynamic and engaging experience for the audience. The film is notable for its intense narrative and the strong performances by its cast.
2. Enola Holmes (2020)
In the film “Enola Holmes” (2020), we follow the spirited and sharp-witted Enola Holmes, the much younger sister of the famous Sherlock Holmes. Raised by her unconventional and free-spirited mother, Enola’s life takes a dramatic turn on her 16th birthday when her mother mysteriously disappears, leaving behind a trail of cryptic clues.
As Enola sets out to find her missing mother, she defies societal norms and challenges the traditional expectations placed on young women in Victorian England. Determined and resourceful, Enola discovers her own knack for deduction and sleuthing, much like her renowned brother Sherlock.
Amid her quest, Enola crosses paths with Viscount Tewkesbury, a young nobleman on the run from unknown assailants. Forming an unexpected alliance, the two embark on a thrilling adventure across England, dodging danger and unraveling a conspiracy that threatens Tewkesbury’s life and the future of the country. As Enola navigates a web of clues and encounters adversaries, including her brothers Sherlock and Mycroft, she learns to trust her instincts and cleverness. Her journey leads her to uncover a plot to undermine the British government and alter the course of history.
Ultimately, Enola’s bravery, intelligence, and resilience enable her to solve the mystery of her mother’s disappearance, protect Tewkesbury, and forge her path, showcasing her remarkable abilities and cementing her place as a formidable detective in her own right, distinct from her famous brothers. The film ends with Enola embracing her independence and embarking on further adventures, shaping her destiny in a world where her ingenuity and courage shine brightly.
Enola Holmes (2020) Movie Cast:
- Millie Bobby Brown as Enola Holmes
- Henry Cavill as Sherlock Holmes
- Sam Claflin as Mycroft Holmes
- Helena Bonham Carter as Eudoria Holmes
- Louis Partridge as Tewkesbury
- Adeel Akhtar as Lestrade
- Hattie Morahan as Lady Tewkesbury
- Frances de la Tour as The Dowager
- Fiona Shaw as Miss Harrison
- Burn Gorman as Dr. John Watson
Director: Harry Bradbeer
Runtime: 123 minutes
3. Lost Girls (2020)
“Lost Girls” is a gripping and poignant drama that delves into the heart-wrenching journey of a mother’s relentless pursuit of truth and justice. The film unfolds in the suburbs of Long Island, where Mari Gilbert, a determined and tenacious woman, faces every parent’s worst nightmare when her daughter Shannan goes missing. Frustrated by the police’s sluggish response and apparent indifference, Mari takes matters into her own hands, embarking on a tireless quest to find her daughter.
As Mari delves deeper into the investigation, she uncovers a series of unsolved murders of young female sex workers, revealing a disturbing pattern of violence and neglect. The story navigates through the dark underbelly of a seemingly serene community, exposing the biases and shortcomings of law enforcement in handling cases involving marginalized individuals.
Director Liz Garbus masterfully crafts a narrative that is both a heartrending personal story and a scathing critique of societal apathy towards the vulnerable. The film is anchored by a powerful performance from Amy Ryan as Mari, whose raw and emotional portrayal captures the essence of a mother’s unyielding love and courage in the face of unimaginable adversity.
“Lost Girls” is more than a crime drama; it’s a poignant reminder of the forgotten and a call to action for justice and empathy. The film not only highlights the plight of the victims but also shines a light on the strength and resilience of those left behind, fighting for the voiceless. This movie is a compelling and touching tribute to the enduring power of a mother’s love and the relentless pursuit of truth, no matter how painful it may be.
Lost Girls (2020) Movie Cast
“Lost Girls” (2020) features an ensemble cast led by several talented actors:
- Amy Ryan as Mari Gilbert, the determined mother seeking the truth about her missing daughter.
- Thomasin McKenzie as Sherre Gilbert, Mari’s younger daughter.
- Gabriel Byrne as Commissioner Richard Dormer, the law enforcement official involved in the investigation.
- Lola Kirke as Kim Gilbert, another of Mari’s daughters.
- Oona Laurence as Sarra Gilbert, one of Mari’s daughters.
- Dean Winters as Dean Bostick, a detective involved in the case.
- Miriam Shor as Lorraine, a character connected to the investigation.
- Reed Birney as Dr. Peter Hackett, a key figure in the story.
- Kevin Corrigan as Joe Scalise, part of the investigative narrative.
- Rosie O’Donnell as Peggy, a character who assists in the investigation.
These actors bring depth and nuance to the film, each contributing to the haunting and emotional narrative of “Lost Girls.”
4. The Gray Man (2022)
“The Gray Man” (2022) is a gripping action thriller that tells the story of Courtland Gentry, a skilled assassin in the CIA’s Sierra program, who operates under the codename Sierra Six. The film opens with a flashback to 2003, where CIA official Donald Fitzroy offers a young Courtland, imprisoned for killing his abusive father, freedom in exchange for joining the Sierra program as an assassin.
Fast forward to 2021, Sierra Six is tasked with eliminating a target in Bangkok, who reveals himself to be another Sierra operative and hands Six an encrypted drive exposing CIA corruption. When Six confronts CIA official Denny Carmichael about the mission’s true purpose, he is met with evasive answers and decides to send the drive to his former handler in Prague, setting off a chain of events.
Carmichael, desperate to retrieve the drive, hires sociopathic former CIA agent Lloyd Hansen, who kidnaps Fitzroy’s niece Claire to manipulate Six. This leads to a series of intense confrontations across Europe, involving massive shootouts, betrayals, and a dramatic showdown in a hedge maze.
The narrative reaches its climax when Six confronts Hansen in a thrilling battle, only to be saved from a difficult situation by Suzanne Brewer, another CIA official. Brewer proposes using Hansen as a scapegoat for Carmichael’s corruption, promising Claire’s safety if Six continues to work for the CIA. Despite being forced into cooperation, Six and his ally, Dani Miranda, manage to outmaneuver their adversaries and secure Claire’s safety.
The Gray Man Cast
The cast of “The Gray Man” (2022) features a lineup of talented actors:
- Ryan Gosling as Courtland Gentry (“Sierra Six”), the protagonist and a skilled assassin.
- Chris Evans portrays Lloyd Hansen, a sociopathic former CIA agent and the film’s primary antagonist.
- Ana de Armas plays Dani Miranda, a fellow CIA agent who works alongside Sierra Six.
- Jessica Henwick appears as Suzanne Brewer, a CIA subordinate.
- Regé-Jean Page takes on the role of Carmichael, a corrupt CIA official.
- Wagner Moura as Laszlo Sosa.
- Julia Butters is cast as Claire, Fitzroy’s niece, a key character in the plot.
- Dhanush portrays Avik San, also known as “Lone Wolf,” a Tamil mercenary.
- Alfre Woodard as Margaret Cahill, Six’s former Sierra Program handler.
- Billy Bob Thornton plays Donald Fitzroy, a senior CIA official and Six’s mentor.
5. Sweet Girl (2021)
“Sweet Girl” (2021) is a gripping tale of revenge and uncovering corruption. The story centers around Ray Cooper, a survival expert, and his teenage daughter, Rachel. Their lives turn upside down when Ray’s wife, Amanda, succumbs to cancer after a potentially life-saving drug is withdrawn from the market by BioPrime, under suspicious circumstances.
Driven by grief and anger, Ray threatens BioPrime CEO Simon Keeley. The plot thickens as Ray encounters Martin Bennett, an investigative journalist with evidence of BioPrime’s corruption. A violent encounter leaves Bennett dead, and Ray and Rachel are left to fight for justice.
Years later, Ray obsessively tracks Keeley and BioPrime, leading to a deadly confrontation. He discovers that BioPrime’s chairman, Vinod Shah, is the true mastermind behind the corruption. Ray’s relentless quest for vengeance escalates into a series of violent confrontations.
In a stunning twist, it’s revealed that Rachel has been impersonating Ray, who actually died years earlier. She has been driven by trauma and the loss of her parents to seek revenge. After a final showdown with Congresswoman Diana Morgan, who is implicated in the corruption, Rachel exposes the truth and escapes, leaving her future uncertain.
Sweet Girl (2021) Cast
The cast of “Sweet Girl” (2021) features:
- Jason Momoa as Ray Cooper
- Isabela Merced as Rachel Cooper, with Milena Rivero portraying a younger version of Rachel
- Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Amos Santos
- Amy Brenneman as Diana Morgan
- Adria Arjona as Amanda Cooper
- Justin Bartha as Simon Keeley
- Raza Jaffrey as Vinod Shah
- Lex Scott Davis as FBI Agent Sarah Meeker
- Michael Raymond-James as FBI Agent John Rothman
- Dominic Fumusa as Sam Walker
- Nelson Franklin as Martin Bennett
- Will Blagrove as Detective Alvarez
- Katy O’Brian as TV Host
- Brian Howe as Pete Micelli
- Reggie Lee as Dr. Wu.
6. The Unforgivable (2021)
“The Unforgivable” (2021) is a poignant drama that delves into themes of redemption, guilt, and the complexities of familial bonds. The story follows Ruth Slater, portrayed by Sandra Bullock, who is released from prison after serving a twenty-year sentence for the murder of a sheriff. This tragic incident occurred during an eviction of Ruth and her young sister Katie from their home in Snohomish, Washington.
Upon her release, Ruth grapples with the challenges of reintegration into society. She secures two jobs and embarks on a determined quest to find her estranged younger sister, Katie. However, Katie, now raised by an adoptive family in Seattle, holds only fragmented memories of Ruth, shrouded in trauma.
The film also introduces Keith, the eldest son of the slain sheriff. Keith learns of Ruth’s release and is consumed by a desire for revenge. He starts stalking Ruth, planning to avenge his father’s death, although his brother Steve dissuades him from this path.
Ruth’s journey leads her back to her former home, now owned by John and Liz Ingram. After meeting them, Ruth is driven by John, a corporate lawyer, to the bus stop, where she shares her story of searching for Katie. Intrigued and empathetic, John decides to assist Ruth, only to later discover her past. Despite this revelation, he agrees to help Ruth with her case.
The plot thickens as Steve, the younger brother of Keith, unknowingly engages in a brief interaction with Ruth. After their encounter, Steve discovers a photo of Katie among Ruth’s belongings, linking her to his family’s past.
In a pivotal scene, John locates Katie’s adoptive family and arranges an anonymous meeting between Ruth and them. During the emotionally charged encounter, Ruth learns that Katie’s adoptive parents have concealed all knowledge of her, including the letters Ruth sent from prison. The meeting ends abruptly with Ruth’s emotional outburst.
Emily, Katie’s younger adopted sister, uncovers Ruth’s letters and, deeply moved, contacts Ruth to arrange a meeting. She informs Ruth about Katie’s upcoming rehearsal, setting the stage for a crucial encounter.
The climax of the film reveals a shocking twist: it was actually five-year-old Katie who accidentally shot the sheriff, but Ruth took the blame to protect her. This revelation shifts Liz Ingram’s perception, leading her to sympathize with Ruth and assist her in reaching Katie’s rehearsal.
Simultaneously, a vengeful Steve kidnaps Emily, mistaking her for Katie. As the situation escalates, Ruth, with Liz’s assistance, confronts Steve, who is unable to carry out his deadly intent upon hearing Ruth’s remorseful confession. The police arrive, resulting in Steve’s arrest and Ruth’s release.
The film culminates in a touching reunion between Ruth and Katie, marking a poignant moment of closure and new beginnings, as they meet and embrace, signifying the enduring power of familial love and the possibility of forgiveness.
The Unforgivable (2021) Movie Cast
The cast of “The Unforgivable” (2021) features a blend of acclaimed actors and emerging talents. Key cast members include:
- Sandra Bullock as Ruth Slater: Bullock portrays the protagonist, a woman seeking redemption after being released from prison.
- Viola Davis as Liz Ingram: Davis plays the role of Liz Ingram, a character intricately woven into the narrative.
- Vincent D’Onofrio as John Ingram: D’Onofrio’s character is a corporate lawyer who becomes involved in Ruth’s quest.
- Jon Bernthal as Blake: Bernthal plays Blake, a significant character in the story.
- Richard Thomas as Michael Malcolm: Thomas’s character is integral to the unfolding drama.
- Linda Emond as Rachel Malcolm: Emond plays Rachel Malcolm, adding depth to the narrative.
- Aisling Franciosi as Katherine Malcolm: Franciosi portrays Katherine Malcolm, a pivotal character.
- Emma Nelson as Emily Malcolm: Nelson’s role as Emily Malcolm is central to the plot.
- Will Pullen as Steve Whelan: Pullen plays Steve Whelan, a character involved in the film’s central conflict.
- Tom Guiry as Keith Whelan: Guiry (credited as Thomas Guiry) takes on the role of Keith Whelan.
- Jess McLeod as Hannah Whelan: McLeod (credited as Jessica McLeod) plays Hannah Whelan.
- Rob Morgan as Vincent Cross: Morgan’s character adds a layer to the film’s complex story.
- Andrew Francis as Corey: Francis plays Corey, contributing to the movie’s intricate plot.
- W. Earl Brown as Mac Whelan: Brown’s portrayal of Mac Whelan is key to the storyline.
- Neli Kastrinos as young Katie: Kastrinos plays the younger version of Katie, a crucial role in the film.
- Orlando Lucas as Ryan Ingram: Lucas’s character Ryan Ingram features in the storyline.
- Jude Wilson as Daniel Ingram: Wilson portrays Daniel Ingram in the film.
- Paul Moniz de Sa as a contractor: Moniz de Sa plays a contractor, adding to the narrative’s realism.
- Craig March as Foreman: March’s role as a foreman is part of the movie’s backdrop.
- Alistair Abell as Police Sergeant: Abell appears as a police sergeant, contributing to the film’s law enforcement aspect.
7. The Irishman (2019)
“The Irishman,” directed by Martin Scorsese, is a compelling epic of organized crime in post-war America, as viewed through the life of Frank Sheeran. A World War II veteran, Sheeran becomes a hustler and hitman, working with some of the 20th century’s most notorious criminal figures. The film’s narrative is structured around an elderly Sheeran, portrayed by Robert De Niro, recounting his past from a retirement home in the early 2000s. This reflective storytelling illuminates his journey from a truck driver to a hitman, colloquially known as a “house painter,” for the Bufalino crime family.
The movie intricately explores Sheeran’s involvement with mobster Russell Bufalino and his crime syndicate, as well as his time working for the influential Teamster leader Jimmy Hoffa. The story delves deep into the underbelly of organized crime, shedding light on the hits that defined Sheeran’s career in the mafia. In his old age, Sheeran shares these dark memories with a priest, revealing the impact and consequences of his actions throughout his life.
The film, which stars Al Pacino and Joe Pesci alongside De Niro, spans several decades, providing a detailed illustration of Sheeran’s transformation from a war veteran to a key figure in the Bufalino crime family. The narrative also touches upon the alleged assassination of Sheeran’s close friend Jimmy Hoffa, adding a layer of personal tragedy to the grand tapestry of crime and power struggles.
The Irishman (2020) Movie Cast
“The Irishman” features a stellar cast that brings the story of Frank Sheeran and his involvement in organized crime to life. The main cast of the film includes:
- Robert De Niro as Frank ‘The Irishman’ Sheeran: De Niro portrays Sheeran, a truck driver who becomes a hitman associated with the Bufalino crime family and gets deeply involved in the criminal underworld.
- Al Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa: Pacino plays the notable Teamster leader Jimmy Hoffa, whose mysterious disappearance is a central element of the film’s plot. Hoffa is depicted as a powerful and influential figure in the union and the crime world.
- Joe Pesci as Russell Bufalino: Pesci’s role as Bufalino, a mobster and the head of the Bufalino crime family, is crucial to the narrative. He is a key figure who introduces Sheeran to the world of crime.
Supporting cast members include:
- Ray Romano as Bill Bufalino, a lawyer related to Russell Bufalino.
- Bobby Cannavale as Joe Gallo and Felix ‘Skinny Razor’ DiTullio, adding depth to the film’s portrayal of the crime world.
- Anna Paquin as Peggy Sheeran, Frank Sheeran’s daughter, who plays a significant role in depicting the personal and emotional aspects of Sheeran’s life.
- Stephen Graham, Stephanie Kurtzuba, Jesse Plemons, and Harvey Keitel in various supporting roles, each contributing to the rich tapestry of characters that define the film’s complex narrative.
8. Reptile (2023)
“Reptile,” a 2023 thriller film, dives into a complex web of deception, murder, and conspiracy, revealing the dark underbelly of real estate and police corruption. Set against the backdrop of New England, the story unfolds with the brutal murder of Summer Elswick, a young real estate agent. Her boyfriend, Will Grady, a real estate mogul, discovers her body in a rural Maine house. This gruesome discovery sets the stage for an intricate investigation led by Detective Tom Nichols.
As Nichols delves deeper into the case, he encounters numerous challenges and revelations. The investigation brings to light the troubled relationship between Will and Summer, marked by unfulfilled marital plans and Summer’s ongoing divorce from her ex-husband, Sam Gifford. Amidst this personal turmoil, there’s also the hint of a dark past associated with Nichols himself.
The plot thickens with forensic discoveries and unexpected twists. The absence of forced sexual contact on Summer’s body, coupled with other findings, adds complexity to the case. The investigation takes a dramatic turn with the involvement of Sam Gifford, now a suspect and a known drug dealer. A violent encounter with Gifford leads to more discoveries, further entangling the case.
The narrative then shifts to a larger conspiracy involving the police department and the real estate business. It is revealed that the police have been planting drugs to seize houses, which are then bought cheaply by Will Grady through a company called White Fish. Summer’s murder is linked to her intention to expose this corrupt scheme, having already contacted the FBI.
As Nichols uncovers the extent of the conspiracy, he finds himself in a precarious situation, questioning his own beliefs and those he trusted. The film’s title, “Reptile,” aptly reflects the theme of shedding skins and revealing true identities, a metaphor for the transformation and duplicity of its characters. The film’s conclusion leaves viewers contemplating the moral ambiguities and the cost of uncovering the truth.
Overall, “Reptile” is a gripping narrative that combines elements of crime, drama, and thriller, showcasing standout performances, particularly by Benicio Del Toro as Tom Nichols. The film presents a layered story that keeps the audience engaged until its unexpected and revealing conclusion.
Reptile Movie Cast
The cast of the 2023 movie “Reptile” features a blend of established and emerging talents, each bringing their unique qualities to this intricate crime thriller:
- Benicio Del Toro as Tom Nichols: Del Toro portrays Detective Tom Nichols, a central character navigating the complex murder investigation. Known for his intense and nuanced performances, Del Toro adds depth to the character of Nichols, a detective grappling with the challenges of the case and personal demons.
- Justin Timberlake as Will Grady: Timberlake plays Will Grady, the boyfriend of the murder victim. His role as a real estate mogul entangled in the crime adds a layer of intrigue to the story.
- Alicia Silverstone as Judy Nichols: Silverstone, playing Judy Nichols, the wife of Tom Nichols, brings her own charm to the film. Her character’s connections and interactions add an additional dimension to the narrative.
- Michael Carmen Pitt as Eli Phillips: Pitt, in the role of Eli Phillips, is portrayed as a suspect in the storyline. His character’s involvement and background contribute significantly to the unfolding mystery.
- Ato Essandoh as Dan Cleary: Essandoh plays Dan Cleary, a detective and Tom Nichols’ partner, adding to the investigative angle of the plot.
- Domenick Lombardozzi as Detective Wally: Lombardozzi, in the role of Detective Wally, is a friend of Nichols and plays a supporting role in the investigation.
- Karl Glusman as Sam Gifford: Glusman’s character, Sam Gifford, is the victim’s ex-husband and a suspect, further complicating the narrative with his background and actions.
- Matilda Lutz as Summer Elswick: Lutz portrays Summer Elswick, the victim whose murder sets off the chain of events in the film.
- Mike Pniewski as Chief Marty Graeber: Pniewski plays Chief Marty Graeber, a friend of Nichols, contributing to the law enforcement perspective in the story.
- Owen Teague as Rudy Rackozy: Teague’s character, Rudy Rackozy, is depicted as a drug smuggler, adding another layer to the crime element of the plot.
- Frances Fisher as Camille Grady: Fisher plays Camille Grady, adding to the film’s ensemble with her seasoned acting experience.
- Eric Bogosian as Captain Robert Allen: Bogosian’s character, Captain Robert Allen, is Nichols’ boss and Judy’s uncle, playing a significant role in the plot development.
- Sky Ferreira as Renee: Ferreira portrays Renee, the victim’s best friend, contributing to the personal aspect of the murder mystery.
9. The Mule (2018)
“The Mule” (2018) is a crime drama film directed by Clint Eastwood, who also stars as the main character, Earl Stone. The story revolves around Stone, a 90-year-old Korean War veteran and horticulturist who becomes a drug mule for a Mexican cartel. Due to his age, ethnicity, and clean criminal record, Earl faces little suspicion and becomes highly successful in his illegal endeavors. His work for the cartel starts to pay off financially, allowing him to buy back his home and even pay for his granddaughter’s education.
As Earl becomes more involved with the cartel, the stakes rise. The DEA, led by Agent Colin Bates (played by Bradley Cooper), intensifies its efforts to clamp down on the cartel’s activities in Chicago. Meanwhile, changes within the cartel’s leadership, with the more ruthless Gustavo replacing Laton, put Earl in a more dangerous position.
The film portrays Earl’s journey as he reconciles with his past, especially with his family, whom he had neglected for his career and his new clandestine activities. His encounter with Bates in a diner, where they unknowingly give each other life advice, is a pivotal moment. Earl’s decision to attend to his ex-wife Mary in her final moments marks a significant turn in his life, leading to his eventual capture by the DEA.
Earl’s character is complex, depicted as a smooth operator in his earlier days, later facing financial struggles and making questionable choices. The film delves into themes of family, regret, and the consequences of one’s choices. However, it has been critiqued for its lack of depth in character development and for its portrayal of minorities.
Overall, “The Mule” is a story of a man who, in his twilight years, becomes entangled in a world of crime and faces the repercussions of a life lived on his own terms, only to find redemption in his final act of defiance and acceptance of responsibility.
The Mule (2018) Movie Cast
“The Mule” (2018) features a prominent cast, each bringing their unique talents to the film:
- Clint Eastwood as Earl Stone: The central character, a nonagenarian who becomes a drug mule for a Mexican cartel. Eastwood’s portrayal of Earl Stone, a Korean War veteran, is pivotal to the film’s narrative.
- Bradley Cooper as Agent Colin Bates: A DEA agent tasked with tackling the cartel’s activities in Chicago. Cooper’s role as Bates is critical in the law enforcement aspect of the story.
- Laurence Fishburne as Special Agent in Charge: Fishburne plays the role of Bates’ boss at the DEA, adding another layer to the law enforcement storyline.
- Michael Peña as Agent Trevino: Cooper’s (Agent Bates’) partner at the DEA, contributing to the law enforcement side of the plot.
- Dianne Wiest as Mary Stone: Earl Stone’s estranged ex-wife, a character that adds depth to Earl’s personal and family life.
- Ignacio Serricchio as Earl’s Cartel Handler: He plays a significant role in Earl’s involvement with the cartel.
- Andy Garcia as Latón: A cartel boss, integral to the criminal aspect of the storyline.
- Taissa Farmiga as Ginny: Earl Stone’s granddaughter, her character adds a personal dimension to Earl’s life, showing a different side of his character.
- Alison Eastwood as Iris: Earl Stone’s estranged daughter, further exploring the theme of family and estrangement.
- Clifton Collins Jr. as Gustavo: The successor to Latón in the cartel hierarchy, his role escalates the tension and danger in the plot.
The film also features a number of other actors in supporting roles, each contributing to the rich narrative tapestry of the movie. These characters, portrayed by a talented cast, weave together the themes of crime, family, and redemption that run through “The Mule.”
10. Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023)
“Luther: The Fallen Sun” (2023) is a gripping crime thriller that serves as a continuation of the acclaimed BBC series “Luther.” Directed by Jamie Payne and written by Neil Cross, the film stars Idris Elba, reprising his iconic role as Detective Chief Inspector John Luther. Alongside Elba, the film features Cynthia Erivo as Odette Raine, the head of the Serious and Serial Crime Unit (SSCU), and Andy Serkis as David Robey, a psychopathic millionaire and serial killer.
In this intense narrative, John Luther, now a disgraced former detective, breaks out of prison to pursue Robey. Robey, a wealthy and high body count serial killer, employs sophisticated surveillance technology to manipulate and murder civilians. The story unfolds with the SSCU, led by Raine, simultaneously hunting down both Luther and Robey. The cast also includes Dermot Crowley as Martin Schenk, Luther’s former boss; Thomas Coombes as Archie Woodward, Raine’s subordinate; and Hattie Morahan as Corinne Aldrich, mother of one of Robey’s victims.
The film explores themes of justice, revenge, and the moral complexities inherent in the pursuit of criminals. Luther’s character, defined by his brilliant yet unconventional methods, faces the challenge of redeeming himself while being on the wrong side of the law. The plot thickens with Robey’s heinous acts and Luther’s relentless pursuit, leading to a high-stakes game of cat and mouse.
“Luther: The Fallen Sun” had a limited theatrical release on February 24, 2023, before its streaming release on Netflix on March 10, 2023. The film received mixed reviews, with Rotten Tomatoes reporting a 68% approval rating from critics and an average rating of 6/10. The critical consensus suggests that while longtime fans will appreciate more of Idris Elba’s brilliant portrayal of Luther, the film is seen as a somewhat uninspired addition to his case files. However, audiences have found the film to have plenty of elements that fans of the show would look for, despite a storyline that could have been better developed.
The production of “Luther: The Fallen Sun” began after Idris Elba expressed his desire to return to the role in a film adaptation, with filming taking place in London and Brussels. The film’s score was composed by Lorne Balfe and includes motifs from Massive Attack’s “Paradise Circus,” which was used as the theme for the television series.
Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023) Movie Cast
The main cast of “Luther: The Fallen Sun” (2023) includes:
- Idris Elba as John Luther: A brilliant but disgraced former Detective Chief Inspector who escapes prison to pursue a serial killer.
- Cynthia Erivo as Odette Raine: Current head of the Serious and Serial Crime Unit, hunting down Luther and the killer.
- Dermot Crowley as Martin Schenk: Retired former head of the SSCU and Luther’s former boss.
- Andy Serkis as David Robey: A wealthy, psychopathic millionaire turned high body count serial killer, using surveillance technology for his crimes.
- Thomas Coombes as Archie Woodward: A subordinate in the SSCU.
- Hattie Morahan as Corinne Aldrich: Mother of one of Robey’s victims.
- Lauryn Ajufo as Anya Raine: Odette’s teenage daughter.
- Vincent Regan as Dennis McCabe: A criminal associate of Luther who helps him escape.
- Henry Hereford as Brian Lee: One of Robey’s blackmail victims.
11. Windfall (2022)
“Windfall” (2022) is an American crime thriller film directed by Charlie McDowell and written by Andrew Kevin Walker and Justin Lader. The film stars Jason Segel as Nobody, Lily Collins as Wife, and Jesse Plemons as CEO, with Omar Leyva in the role of the Gardener. The movie was released on March 18, 2022, by Netflix, and it has a running time of 92 minutes.
The plot unfolds as a wealthy CEO and his wife arrive at their vacation home, only to find a burglar there. The CEO, seeking to resolve the situation without involving the police, agrees to give the burglar money. However, the burglar, sensing an opportunity, locks them in a sauna. Upon noticing a camera recording him, the burglar returns to the house to confront the couple, demanding $500,000 in cash. The narrative develops with several tense and revealing conversations among the trio, hinting at the strained relationship between the CEO and his wife.
As the story progresses, the CEO suspects the burglar to be a former employee impacted by the downsizing algorithm he created. The arrival of a gardener at the house adds to the complexity, leading to a tragic accident where the gardener dies. The wife manages to retrieve the demanded money but doesn’t signal a passing car for help. In a climactic turn of events, she frees herself, kills the burglar with a statue, and then shoots her husband, staging the scene to implicate the burglar in all the deaths before leaving the property.
“Windfall” is set against the backdrop of a tech billionaire’s lavish lifestyle and the stark contrast of the lives of those affected by his corporate decisions. The movie delves into themes of wealth, power, and the moral ambiguities that often accompany them. It received mixed reviews, with Rotten Tomatoes giving it a score indicating “mixed or average” reviews.
Windfall (2022) Movie Cast
The cast of the 2022 film “Windfall” includes:
- Jason Segel as Nobody: Segel, known for his roles in “How I Met Your Mother” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” plays the burglar who breaks into the vacation home of a wealthy CEO.
- Lily Collins as Wife: Collins, recognized for her performances in “Emily in Paris” and “To the Bone,” portrays the CEO’s wife, who is trapped in the house with the burglar and her husband.
- Jesse Plemons as CEO: Plemons, who has appeared in “Breaking Bad” and “Fargo,” plays the role of the wealthy CEO, the main target of the burglar’s scheme.
- Omar Leyva as Gardener: Leyva, a lesser-known actor, takes on the role of the gardener who becomes inadvertently involved in the tense situation at the house.
12. The Devil All the Time (2020)
“The Devil All the Time,” directed by Antonio Campos, is a gripping thriller-drama set in the post-World War II era, primarily in the rural town of Knockemstiff, Ohio, and its neighboring backwoods. The film interweaves multiple storylines centered around sinister characters and the theme of violence intertwined with religious undertones.
At the heart of the story is young Arvin Russell, portrayed by Tom Holland, who finds himself surrounded by corrupt and malevolent figures. He is committed to protecting his loved ones in a town rife with brutality and corruption. Arvin’s father, Willard Russell, played by Bill Skarsgård, is a tormented soul, haunted by his past and the loss of his wife, Charlotte (Haley Bennett), to cancer. This tragedy leads Willard to a path of desperation and sacrifice.
The narrative also introduces other complex characters, such as a corrupt cop named Lee Bodecker (Sebastian Stan), his sister Sandy (Riley Keough) married to a serial killer named Carl (Jason Clarke), and a corrupt preacher named Preston Teagardin (Robert Pattinson). Each character brings their own darkness and challenges to the fore, creating a web of intrigue and moral conflict.
The film is adapted from a novel by Donald Ray Pollock, who also provides narration throughout the movie. This element adds a layer of depth and cohesion to the sprawling narrative. The visual style of the film draws inspiration from the works of painter Andrew Wyeth and photographer William Eggleston, particularly in how it captures the essence and atmosphere of Appalachia during the timeline of the story.
“The Devil All the Time” is a dark exploration of human nature and the intertwining of violence and faith. The ensemble cast delivers strong performances, bringing to life the complex and troubled characters. While the film delves into harsh and sometimes harrowing themes, it has been praised for its narrative ambition and the director’s skill in handling a large cast and multiple storylines.
The Devil All the Time (2020) Movie Cast
“The Devil All the Time, features an ensemble cast of talented actors, each portraying vivid and complex characters. Here’s a detailed list of the main cast:
- Tom Holland as Arvin Russell: The central character of the film, Arvin is a young man who faces numerous challenges and adversities, navigating through a world filled with corruption and violence.
- Bill Skarsgård as Willard Russell: Arvin’s father, Willard is a tormented World War II veteran whose experiences have left him deeply scarred. He struggles with his faith and the tragic loss of his wife, Charlotte.
- Riley Keough as Sandy Henderson: Sister of Lee Bodecker, Sandy is involved in a sinister relationship with her husband, Carl. She finds herself entangled in a web of crime and moral ambiguity.
- Jason Clarke as Carl Henderson: Carl is Sandy’s husband and a serial killer. His dark and twisted character plays a significant role in the film’s narrative.
- Sebastian Stan as Deputy Lee Bodecker: Sandy’s brother, Lee is a corrupt police officer whose actions and decisions have significant implications for those around him.
- Haley Bennett as Charlotte Russell: Charlotte is Arvin’s mother and Willard’s wife. Her illness and subsequent death have a profound impact on the Russell family.
- Robert Pattinson as Reverend Preston Teagardin: A corrupt preacher, Preston Teagardin is a pivotal character who brings a unique set of challenges and moral dilemmas to the story.
- Eliza Scanlen as Lenora Laferty: A kind-hearted and religious young woman, Lenora is closely connected to Arvin and his family. Her character embodies innocence and faith in a corrupt world.
- Harry Melling as Roy Laferty: Lenora’s father and a preacher with his own set of issues, Roy’s actions have far-reaching consequences for his family and others.
- Mia Wasikowska as Helen Hatton: Helen is Lenora’s mother and Roy’s wife. Her character’s experiences and fate are integral to the story’s development.
The cast is complemented by a strong supporting ensemble, each contributing to the film’s dark and complex narrative tapestry. “The Devil All the Time” is notable for its exploration of themes like violence, faith, and morality, with a cast that brings these elements to life with depth and intensity.
13. 21 Bridges (2019)
“21 Bridges,” released in 2019, is a gripping crime thriller starring Chadwick Boseman as Andre Davis, a New York City police detective known for his readiness to draw his gun. The film opens with a brutal scene where small-time criminals Michael Trujillo and Ray Jackson rob a wine shop in Brooklyn, intending to steal 30 kilograms of cocaine, but instead find 300 kilograms. Their heist quickly turns violent as they are unexpectedly confronted by police officers, leading to a deadly shootout where several officers are killed.
Assigned to the case along with narcotics detective Frankie Burns, Andre faces a race against time. He implements an unprecedented lockdown of Manhattan, closing all 21 bridges, the tunnels, and the rivers, effectively isolating the island to trap the killers. However, as Andre delves deeper into the investigation, he uncovers a massive conspiracy implicating police officers in drug trafficking.
Throughout the movie, Andre grapples with the shadows of his past and the moral complexities of his present situation. His father, also a police officer, was killed in the line of duty when Andre was just 13, a fact that has significantly shaped his life and career.
The plot thickens as Andre and Frankie get closer to the truth, leading to intense confrontations and revelations about the extent of corruption within their ranks. The climax of the film is a tense standoff involving key characters, revealing the true depths of the conspiracy and forcing Andre to make tough decisions about justice and morality.
“21 Bridges” is not just a simple crime drama; it’s a story that delves into themes of corruption, ethics in law enforcement, and the personal demons that drive individuals. Boseman’s performance as Andre Davis brings a compelling depth to the character, making the movie a thrilling and thought-provoking watch.
21 Bridges (2019) Movie Cast
The cast of “21 Bridges” (2019) features a talented ensemble of actors, each bringing their unique contributions to the film. Here are the key cast members along with their character details:
- Chadwick Boseman as Andre Davis: He plays the main character, a determined NYPD detective with a reputation for being quick on the trigger. Boseman’s portrayal of Davis is central to the film’s narrative, particularly his investigation into the killings and the broader conspiracy.
- Sienna Miller as Frankie Burns: She plays a narcotics detective who works alongside Andre Davis on the case. Her character adds depth to the investigation, contributing significantly to the unfolding of the plot.
- J.K. Simmons as Captain McKenna: He is the precinct head who plays a crucial role in the story, especially regarding the conspiracy and the internal dynamics within the police force.
- Stephan James as Michael Trujillo: One of the small-time criminals involved in the wine shop robbery that sets off the film’s main events. His character’s actions and motivations are key to the unfolding drama.
- Taylor Kitsch as Ray Jackson: The other criminal involved in the robbery alongside Michael Trujillo. Ray’s actions during the robbery lead to significant consequences that drive the plot forward.
- Keith David as Deputy Chief Spencer: He plays a senior police official in the film, adding to the hierarchy and complexities of the NYPD as portrayed in the movie.
- Alexander Siddig as Adi: Siddig’s character is involved in the criminal underworld and plays a role in the narrative surrounding the heist and its aftermath.
- Louis Cancelmi as Toriano Bush: A character involved in the criminal plot, his actions and connections are part of the larger web of events that the film explores.
- Victoria Cartagena as Sergeant Yolanda Bell: She contributes to the depiction of the NYPD and its involvement in the unfolding events of the film.
- Gary Carr as Hawk Tyler: A character in the criminal network within the film, he plays a role in the narrative of the robbery and its implications.
- Morocco Omari as Deputy Mayor Antonie Mott: His character adds to the political and administrative backdrop against which the film’s events unfold.
These actors, along with the rest of the cast, contribute to the dynamic and intense narrative of “21 Bridges,” making it a memorable crime thriller.
14. Red Notice (2021)
“Red Notice” is a 2021 action-comedy film directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, featuring a star-studded cast including Dwayne Johnson as John Hartley, Ryan Reynolds as Nolan Booth, and Gal Gadot as Sarah Black/The Bishop. The film’s narrative revolves around the dynamic and often conflicting interactions among these three characters.
Dwayne Johnson’s character, John Hartley, is an FBI profiler, while Ryan Reynolds’ Nolan Booth is depicted as a skilled art thief. Gal Gadot’s character, Sarah Black, also known as The Bishop, adds an intriguing twist to the storyline, contributing to the film’s complex web of chases and heists.
“Red Notice” was produced with a lavish budget, making it one of Netflix’s most expensive original films at the time. It began filming in early 2020, with principal photography taking place in Atlanta, Georgia. However, the production faced delays and adjustments due to the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to a temporary halt before resuming later in the year. The film also included a brief shoot in Italy.
The movie has drawn comparisons to adventure classics such as “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “National Treasure,” although it’s noted for lacking the distinct identity of these iconic films. Despite the charisma and screen presence of its lead actors, “Red Notice” has been described as somewhat formulaic, with a heavy reliance on the star power of Johnson, Reynolds, and Gadot. The film’s humor and action sequences, while abundant, have been critiqued for their lack of originality and depth.
“Red Notice” was released with expectations of starting a potential franchise, showcasing a blend of action, comedy, and thriller elements. However, the film’s reception has been mixed, with some critics pointing out the underutilization of its lead actors’ talents and the generic nature of its plot and execution. Despite these criticisms, the film’s high production value and the appeal of its leading trio have made it a noteworthy entry in Netflix’s portfolio of action comedies.
Red Notice (2021) Movie Cast
The cast of “Red Notice” (2021) is led by a trio of high-profile actors, each bringing their unique style to the film:
- Dwayne Johnson as John Hartley: Johnson, also known as “The Rock,” is known for his roles in action films and his transition from professional wrestling to acting. In “Red Notice,” he plays an FBI profiler tasked with tracking down and capturing an art thief.
- Ryan Reynolds as Nolan Booth: Reynolds, famous for his witty and comedic roles, particularly in the “Deadpool” series, plays Nolan Booth, a renowned art thief who becomes a key figure in the film’s plot.
- Gal Gadot as Sarah Black / The Bishop: Gadot, best known for her role as Wonder Woman in the DC Extended Universe, portrays Sarah Black, also known as The Bishop, a mysterious and cunning figure in the world of art theft.
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Sotto Voce
- Ritu Arya as Inspector Urvashi Das
- Ivan Mbakop as Tambwe
- Vincenzo Amato as Director Gallo
- Rafael Petardi as Security Chief Ricci
- Brenna Marie Narayan as Cleopatra
- Daniel Bernhardt as Drago Grande
- Ed Sheeran in an uncredited cameo as himself
The film was directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, who also contributed to the writing. The star-studded cast, combined with Thurber’s direction, aimed to create a thrilling blend of action, comedy, and adventure.
15. 1922 (2017)
“1922” is a gripping psychological thriller set in the 1920s in Nebraska. The film revolves around Wilfred James, a struggling farmer, portrayed by Thomas Jane. Wilfred’s life takes a dark turn when his wife, Arlette (played by Molly Parker), threatens to leave him. In a desperate move, Wilfred murders Arlette and hides her body, an act that begins to unravel his sanity.
The murder not only torments Wilfred but also deeply affects his teenage son, Henry, played by Dylan Schmid. Henry struggles with the guilt and the weight of the secret, leading him to run off with his pregnant girlfriend, Shannon (Kaitlyn Bernard). The story is further complicated by the involvement of a local sheriff and other characters, each adding layers to this tale of crime and moral decay.
Directed and written by Zak Hilditch, “1922” is an adaptation of a novella by Stephen King. The film has been praised for its slow-burning suspense and Thomas Jane’s compelling portrayal of Wilfred. Critics have noted the film’s ability to maintain tension and delve deep into the psyche of its protagonist, exploring themes like crime gone awry, the crisis of conscience, and the consequences of one’s actions.
The setting of the movie, both in time and location, plays a significant role in creating an atmosphere of isolation and impending doom. The film’s production saw challenges like finding appropriate locations for filming and creating realistic sets, including cornfields made using props from China, computer graphics, and shots from Boort, Australia.
“1922” received positive reviews for its storytelling and performances, particularly Jane’s portrayal of Wilfred. It is noted for its adherence to the eerie and suspenseful style that Stephen King’s stories are known for, making it a satisfying adaptation of his work.
1922 (2017) Movie Cast
The cast of the 2017 movie “1922” includes several notable actors who bring the gripping story to life:
- Thomas Jane portrays Wilfred “Wilf” Leland James, the central character whose actions set the story in motion.
- Dylan Schmid plays Henry “Hank” Freeman James, Wilf’s son, who becomes deeply entangled in the aftermath of his father’s decisions.
- Molly Parker takes on the role of Arlette Christina Winters James, Wilf’s wife, whose fate is central to the plot.
- Neal McDonough appears as Harlan “Harl” Cotterie, adding another layer to the narrative.
- Kaitlyn Bernard is featured as Shannon Cotterie, Henry’s girlfriend.
- Brian d’Arcy James plays the role of Sheriff Jones, bringing a law enforcement perspective to the story.
- Bob Frazer is cast as Mr. Lester, adding to the ensemble of characters.
In addition to these main cast members, the film includes various supporting roles and crew members who contributed to its production. The film was directed by Zak Hilditch and adapted from a novella by Stephen King. The production faced unique challenges, such as finding appropriate locations and creating realistic sets. For example, the cornfields depicted in the film were made using props from China, computer graphics, and shots taken in Boort, Australia.
As we conclude our exploration of the best crime movies on Netflix, it’s clear that Netflix’s vast and diverse array of crime films offers something for every cinephile. The films discussed here, ranging from intense psychological dramas to intricate crime sagas, not only entertain but also provoke thought and stir emotions. They serve as a testament to the power of cinema in exploring and portraying the darker, more complex aspects of human nature and society.
Netflix, with its commitment to variety and quality, ensures that fans of the crime genre will always have a treasure trove of cinematic excellence at their fingertips. Whether you seek a gripping thriller or a deep narrative that challenges your perceptions, Netflix’s selection of crime movies is sure to deliver an unforgettable viewing experience.